We have made this dish many times since then and finish all of it every time. I will show you how to make this in 10 easy steps.
Thank you so much, Pei Ping!
You will have to pick up these two ingredients to be able to make this dish. It's called 'cooking wine' and 'broad bean sauce' in English, but I don't remember the Chinese names. Why don't you just show this picture to the people at your local Chinese grocer? I'm sure they will help you find it!
200 g pork or chicken, minced
Thumb size ginger, chopped
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp sugar
1 tsp cooking wine (can be bought at most Chinese stores)
¼ tsp corn starch
5 dried mushrooms
1 block tofu (medium to firm)
1 tbsp sichuan peppercorns (can be bought at most Chinese stores)
3 cloves garlic, crushed and finely chopped
2 sprigs green onion, chopped
1 dried red chilli, finely chopped
oil for cooking
2 tbsp broad bean sauce (can be bought at most Chinese stores)
- In a small bowl, combine the meat, ginger, salt, sugar, cooking wine and cornstarch.
- Cover with plastic wrap (or a plate) and set aside to use later.
- Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl of warm water to rehydrate.
- This takes about 7-10 minutes. Cut into thin, long pieces and set aside.
- Chop the garlic, spring onion and dried chilli.
- Set the vegetables aside to use later.
- Carefully cube the tofu, using a sharp knife.
- The cubes should be bite-sized.
- In a Chinese wok, add enough water and bring to boil.
- Carefully add the cubed tofu to the boiling water. The water will stop boiling but later you will see small bubbles on the surface.
- Stir the tofu a few times, but be very careful not to break it! This will take about 5-6 minutes.
- Heat the wok and when it is hot, add about 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil (not olive oil).
- Add the meat mixture.
- Lower the heat and cook until the meat is done.
- Remove from the wok and set aside.
If your wok is smoking, it means it's too hot – let it cool off a bit.
- Rinse and dry the wok again. Add oil to the wok and heat over medium heat.
- Add the peppercorns. After a few seconds, you will smell the peppercorns.
- Remove most of them and leave a few in the wok.
- Reduce the heat and fry the vegetables (garlic, spring onion, and dried chilli) in the same wok.
- After a few minutes, add the mushrooms and the pork.
- Add 2 tablespoons of broad bean sauce, 1 tablespoon of cooking wine, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, and about ½ cup lukewarm water.
- Add the tofu and mix carefully over medium heat. Fry until the tofu is cooked (about 5 minutes).
- Carefully plate the spicy tofu and sprinkle with chopped green onion on top.
- Serve as a side dish with fried rice.